A new dimension of lodging at the Stone Hill Inn
Our first suite. (What took you so long?) Effective July 1, the Mansfield Suite is in business. The suite is about 66% larger than our existing guest accommodations – around 700 square feet. It is located in a separate and private portion of the Stone Hill Inn complex, on the second floor above the inn’s four garage spaces. It has been completely redone.
The Mansfield Suite has always been here, but only as space that we used ourselves along with the other rooms in what the industry calls “the owner’s quarters.” But as the recession recovery has gradually taken place, and as Stowe continues to expand both its outdoor activities and weekend event activities (especially those involved with food and beverages), we could see this space working for our guests for three reasons:
- Given the growing interest in using Stone Hill Inn’s lovely grounds and/or interiors for elopements and small weddings many could benefit from having a larger space for ceremony preparations, especially by the bride.
- We have several guests who look at Stowe as a possible next home from where they are now living and would like to get to know Stowe on a more personal basis – a week or so of living here, buying some groceries, talking with shop owners, and exploring all that Stowe has to offer.
- Privacy has always been a strength of the Stone Hill Inn. Guests arrive by a private road, are somewhat secluded by being surrounded by trees, guest rooms are constructed to make them nearly sound proof, and they have all the amenities needed to allow guests to remain comfortable over extended periods of time. The Mansfield Suite enhances this level of privacy since it is in a different part of the Stone Hill Inn complex. Ahhhh, relax, make your own grubb (or Piecasso delivers), and stay completely content and sequestered.
Mansfield Suite Details
Thus, we made some changes, gave this space a name and launched it for our guests. Some of the highlights of the three rooms of the new Mansfield Suite:
- You are greeted by a large, open floor plan that includes a complete kitchen, a window dining table, and the living room area with fireplace and cable TV with a Smart DVD player that all blend together.
- Adjacent to the living room area is an outdoor porch which looks over the grounds on the right and, because the suite is located above the garage, you have a perfect view of our beautiful, er, ah, parking lot.
- Widows (with drapes) are on all three sides of the open floor plan. It is a perfect place to sit, watch it snow and enjoy the fireplace with early morning coffee, make sandwiches for lunch while you’re watching the leaves turn, reheat pizza, cook your own dinner or watch the Masters while your beloved partner is enjoying An Affair to Remember, for the second (??) time on the bedroom TV.
- The kitchen is complete. Stove with oven and four burners; dish washer; refrigerator with ice maker; coffee maker; required kitchen tools and a good selection of condiments round out the lineup.
- The bedroom is spacious with a king bed, matching end tables and lamps, chest of drawers, chairs and a comfortable, spring yellow couch. It also has cable TV with a Smart DVD player. It has windows on two sides of the room.
- The bath is colorful and welcoming. It is a bit smaller than those in the inn, but has two sinks, a shower, and all the towels and soaps you’ve come to expect at Stone Hill.
- Within the suite you also have a washer and dryer and closet for storage.
- Like all of our Stone Hill Inn guest rooms, Mansfield Suite sleeps only two; designed for couples, but not for pets.
- Minimum two-night stay always required. Maximum stay 14 days.
- Complimentary parking, WiFi, popcorn, bottled water, soft drinks, and breakfast.
Upon registering via the main entrance, guests head back outside and use the path in front of the ski lockers to enter the Mansfield Suite. This entrance is about 25 steps from the main entrance. Guests will have complete access to all of the public areas within the Stone Hill Inn including daily gourmet breakfast, the pantry, and scheduled social hours as noted on the blackboard in the pantry.
Continuous Growth of Stowe
One of the essential ingredients for the Mansfield Suite is the continuous growth of Stowe. As you know, Stowe was developed in the early 1930’s and became famous for its Alpine skiing excellence, boasting the best skiing in the east. Yet today Stowe has more visitors during the summer than it does in the winter.
Summer now boasts a menu of activities that increases each year and dwarfs what Stowe was five to ten years ago:
- Water sports: canoeing, kayaking, paddleboarding and the new Swimming Hole (indoor pool and exercise) which is beautiful and very reasonably priced.
- Ground based activities have always been the most popular in Stowe primarily because of its mountain geography and the 53,000 acres of virgin forests within Stowe.
- Stowe has created more than 50 miles of single-track mountain biking trails and an Alpine slide adorns the new resort at the base of mount Mansfield.
- A new golf course was added to the Stowe Mountain Lodge while the local Stowe Country Club course (public within a mile of the inn) has been significantly improved.
- The addition of the Stowe Mountain Lodge with its 300+ rooms at the base of mountains Mansfield and Spruce Peak, (opened in 2007) has put Stowe in the top five skiing resorts in the U.S.
- Yankee magazine ranked Stowe as the best winter town in New England (January 2015). Others rate Stowe among the top golf and tennis resorts in the U.S.
- Air enhanced activities include:
- Two zipline courses; one of which is rated among the top ten courses in the U.S.
- Ballooning has become more popular, aided by the annual, July Hot Air Balloon festival each year.
- Perhaps the most significant of all the Stowe additions and improvements is the effort taking place to significantly overhaul the Stowe airport in order to substantially increase traffic from the major cities in the east.
- Already the first stage of runway, flight equipment, and reception facilities has been completed.
- Tradewind Aviation began flights from its Westchester County Airport to Stowe on a daily basis last November.
- The goal is to continue to expand and upgrade the existing airport so that the number of flights and feeder airports can continue to expand. Nearly every major ski resort in the U.S. benefits from a successful local airport except for Stowe.
- Much of the funding for the next stages of development has been secured.
- From a cultural standpoint the number and quality of the performing arts events that take place each season at the Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center has consistently increased each year. Stowe has also become a leader among farm-to-table restaurants in New England.
Thus, with Stowe’s reputation for year-round relaxation and fun continuing to grow while new weekend events are attracting more customers, we thought that the time had come for a lodging enhancement for the Stone Hill Inn. Thus, the Mansfield Suite has been born! July 1, 2016. Come. Experience unexpected opportunities to celebrate life…together.
This is a new venture for us. So, we would like to get your reaction once you have stayed in the Mansfield Suite. As a result we would like to offer a 5% discount to the first five couples who stay at the suite, if they would agree to spend a few minutes discussing their reactions to their stay before they leave. We will adjust your pricing once we discuss with you upon your arrive at the Inn.